
President Donald Trump extends the deadline for China-based ByteDance to sell TikTok, allowing the popular video-sharing app to remain active in the U.S. until mid-June.
Announcing the move on Truth Social Friday, Trump said the deal “requires more work to ensure all necessary approvals are signed.” The extension gives ByteDance an additional 75 days beyond the previous April 5 deadline to finalize a sale.
“We hope to continue working in Good Faith with China, who I understand are not very happy about our Reciprocal Tariffs,” Trump wrote, adding that the tariffs are “necessary for Fair and Balanced Trade.”
The delay marks the second time Trump has pushed back the TikTok deadline. ByteDance originally faced a January 19 cutoff, but Trump issued an executive order on January 20 granting a 75-day extension.
That executive order also instructed the Justice Department not to enforce penalties outlined in a 2024 national security law signed by President Joe Biden, which required TikTok to divest from its Chinese ownership or face a U.S. ban.
Just before that deadline, TikTok was briefly removed from Apple’s App Store and Google Play, and temporarily shut down for U.S. users. Service was quickly restored after Trump signaled his willingness to issue an order keeping the app live. TikTok returned to both app stores in February.
Several companies and investor groups have expressed interest in acquiring TikTok’s U.S. assets. According to reports from Resist Times and the Financial Times, tech firms like Oracle, AppLovin, Amazon and OnlyFans founder have made bids. Amazon reportedly submitted a last-minute offer this past week.
Private equity groups including Andreessen Horowitz, Blackstone, and other firms are also in talks. Their proposed deal would give them around 50% ownership, while existing TikTok investors like General Atlantic, KKR, Susquehanna, and Coatue would retain about 30% in a newly created U.S.-based TikTok entity.
Additionally, billionaire Frank McCourt and his Project Liberty initiative—backed by Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian—remain in the running. AI startup Perplexity has also pitched a merger with TikTok’s U.S. arm.
Any agreement would still need to be approved by the Chinese government before it can move forward.
The extension follows Trump’s announcement earlier this week of a new “reciprocal tariff” policy, which raised tariffs on Chinese imports to 34%, bringing the total tariff rate—including preexisting duties—to 54%.
Trump has suggested that he may be open to adjusting tariffs to help finalize the TikTok deal, signaling flexibility if an agreement appears close.
“This proves that Tariffs are the most powerful Economic tool, and very important to our National Security!” Trump wrote on Truth Social. “We do not want TikTok to ‘go dark.’ We look forward to working with TikTok and China to close the Deal.”
Vice President JD Vance said last month that a resolution was likely before the initial April deadline.
“There will almost certainly be a high-level agreement that I think satisfies our national security concerns,” Vance told NBC News. “It will allow for a distinct American TikTok enterprise.”