Who Is the Man Who Tried to Enter Mar-a-Lago Today? What We Know So Far

A man in his early 20s was shot and killed early Sunday after allegedly trying to enter the security perimeter at Mar-a-Lago, the private club owned by President Trump.

Authorities have identified the man who entered a secure area at Mar-a-Lago as 21-year-old Austin Tucker Martin.

Martin had previously been reported missing by his parents and had not been seen since February 21, according to officials.

Authorities are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident, including Martin’s background and possible motive.

Although President Trump frequently spends weekends at the Florida resort, he was at the White House in Washington at the time of the incident, along with First Lady Melania Trump.

At a Sunday morning press conference, Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw said two Secret Service agents and a deputy from the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office responded to the north gate of the property around 1:30 a.m. after security reported an individual inside an inner restricted perimeter.

Authorities confronted a white male carrying a shotgun and a gasoline can. According to Bradshaw, officers ordered the man to drop the items. He allegedly put down the gas can but raised the shotgun into a firing position.

At that point, the deputy and the two Secret Service agents opened fire, killing the suspect at the scene.

No law enforcement personnel were injured. Officials said they could not immediately confirm whether the shotgun was loaded. The suspect’s identity has not been publicly released.

In a separate statement, the Secret Service said the man was in his early 20s and from North Carolina. He had reportedly been missing for several days before the incident. Investigators believe he traveled south and obtained the shotgun along the way. The weapon’s box was recovered from his vehicle.

Officials said the suspect drove through the north gate as another vehicle was exiting before being confronted and fatally shot.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is assisting in the investigation. Brett Skiles, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Miami field office, said evidence teams are processing the scene and collecting materials. Authorities are also working to determine a motive and build a psychological profile.

Residents near the Palm Beach property have been asked to review security camera footage from Saturday night and early Sunday for anything unusual.

Trump has faced several security threats in recent years. In July 2024, he was wounded during an assassination attempt at a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania. Two months later, another armed suspect was arrested near Trump’s golf course in West Palm Beach and was later sentenced to life in prison.

The White House has not issued an immediate comment on the incident.

Additional reporting by the Associated Press.